Website Builder & CMS
Key Takeaways. As a management system for content, a CMS is a platform that allows users to store, publish, delete, and modify content in a database. The term “website builder” generally refers to all-in-one platforms designed to streamline the process of creating a website.
What Is a CMS?(Website Builder & CMS)
A content management system is online software that lets you create easily manageable websites by leveraging a pre-built framework. When using a CMS, you can purchase pre-designed, customizable themes, which reduce the need for users to have in-depth coding skills to effectively manage a website.
The beauty of content management systems is they give the user a massive range of flexibility and scalability because of their in-depth customization options. CMS systems require a steeper learning curve when compared to website builders, but this is offset by the amount of control you’re given over your website.
If you’re the owner of a small business, choosing a reliable CMS to build your website will likely be the best option. If you don’t have the expertise to set one up on your own, you can hire a web developer for a more state-of-the-art web design.
Pros of Using a CMS
- Improve functionality with plugins – Nearly every CMS allows you to install plugins to increase the features your website can offer for both your business and your visitors. For example, if you want to collect emails on your homepage, you can simply install a plugin that prompts a pop-up to appear and collect the information you require from your visitors.
- Choose from thousands of attractive themes – Website builders may excel when it comes to ease of use, but content management systems have their own theme options that allow you to set up your website with minimal technical knowledge. Some CMS themes even come with their own drag and drop features, making them just as easy to use as website builders.
- Offers greater customization – Content management systems allow access to the underlying code, allowing you to make specific changes you wouldn’t be able to make when using a website builder. Even if the theme you’re using limits a specific function, you can simply dig into the code and tweak it until you’re satisfied. This helps blur the line between custom web design and website templates. If you don’t have the expertise to do this on your own, you can find a web designer to make the changes on your behalf.
What Is a Website Builder?(Website Builder & CMS)
Website builders are easy to use tools that use pre-built components to create a fully functional website. Most website builders use a drag and drop function, which allows you to change the layout of your website with ease.
Once you’ve had a little bit of practice, you can create websites that aesthetically appear as if they’ve been built by a professional. Website-builders such as Wix and Squarespace come equipped with pre-built website templates that are created to suit a wide variety of needs.
Pros of a Website Builder
- Easy to use – Frankly, the most attractive feature of website builders is their ease of use. Zero coding knowledge is required, and streamlined tools allow you to easily set up your website with drag and drop functionality.
- Cheap and fast – Website builders provide a quick and inexpensive solution to your website problem. They’re the ideal choice for those who are putting together their first website. Furthermore, they’re cheaper than paying the costs associated with content management systems. Due to their ease of use, you can easily have a website up and running in thirty minutes or less.